Talks, Lectures, Training, Public Speaking
Experienced public speaking from head and heart with humour. A vibrant and vulnerable authentic voice from someone who has experienced the volatile ups and downs of life, identity, faith, mental health, business, and relationships.
Well travelled in America, Spain, Africa and the Middle East, as a photographer and multilingual cultural explorer – always preferring the trips and tales that are off the beaten track.
As seen on various media including Film, TV, Radio, Podcast, Youtube, & Press.
Confident and comfortable with audiences
I’m very happy in any kind of public speaking environment. Ironically, when I was a younger adult, audiences and clients petrified me! The supposed trick of “imagining them naked” only made it worse! Now I love it – the talking that is, not the imagining them naked! In fact, my talks are often, “naked, raw and vulnerable”, to quote Carl Rogers on ‘Being Yourself’.
Confidence and comfort with lots of people came with discovering myself, being transparent, vulnerable, sharing from my heart as much as from my head. I had plenty of experience teaching and speaking in my 20s and 30s in church and college environments, being a former theologian and Hebrew teacher, but often public speaking was a case of “fake it until you make it”.
“head and heart with humour. A vibrant and vulnerable authentic voice”
Subsequently, coming out as an LGBTIQ person, dealing with mental health ups and downs, relationship and career changes, business and financial gains and losses, all meant becoming comfortable with myself. Now, public speaking is second nature as I’ve nothing to hide or fear.
Conferences, Panels & Keynote Addresses
I’ve spoken at several conferences and am very happy appearing on panel discussions across a range of issues. Although I am passionate, I have perspective, and can happily entertain and engage with ideas and beliefs that I may not agree with. Seeing both or more than two sides to something enables me to engage and not get enraged. I love debate and discussion, but don’t get angry or personal, even though my energy and passions may get stirred.
An Array of Audiences
I’ve spoken to rooms full of politicians or psychiatrists, in prisons, schools, colleges, universities, businesses, at public demonstrations and political rallies with 2,000 people, and, most terrifying of all, in front of audiences at stand-up comedy gigs! Everything is easy after that.
I’m regularly on three radio stations and been filmed a few times, rarely needing a second take, being very happy live, ad-libbing and waxing lyrical.
Extensive range of Topics
I’m very happy speaking on everything from socio-political issues, to sex and gender; on business, authentic marketing, technology, and entrepreneurship; on social confidence, self-promotion, and overcoming fear; on mental health, human rights and humour. I’ve spoken on everything from theology to torture, trans and translation, and that’s just the T’s.
Recent Talks and Lectures given
This selective list does not include internal talks and non-public training given to businesses, organisations and public sector clients including Police, MOJ, Fire & Rescue, NHS, City & County Councils, Schools, Colleges, Job Centres…
- WOW Festival, Norwich – Apr 2018
- Art, Photography & the Fe/Male Gaze, UEA – Mar 2018
- Reclaim the Night, Norwich – Mar 2018
- IWD – Biology & Diversity, Swainsthorpe, Mar 2018
- Asexual, eNBy & Trans Relationship Reality, Wendy Capewell Podcast, Mar 2018
- Being Different, TEDx at UEA, Norwich, Feb 2018
- Asexuality, Plymouth Uni, Feb 2018
- Who, or what, defines you as a woman?, BBC, Feb 2018
- Progress & Regress of LGBT+ Rights around the world, LGBTHM, Essex Uni, Feb 2018
- Transgender Day of Remembrance, UEA & Forum, Nov 2017
- The Human Library – my story, Positive News, Oct 2017
- Gender Dysphoria – nature or nurture?, Essex University, Jul 2017
- Gender Revolution, N&N Fest, May 2017
- Trans Like Me interview with CN Lester, N&N Fest, May 2017
- Identity Panel, N&N Fest, May 2017
- Supporting Trans victims of crime & abuse, Victim Support, Apr 2017
- From gender rights to human rights, Norwich Humanists, Apr 2017
- LGBT rights in Chechnya, Chechnya LGBT demo, Apr 2017
- Safeguarding Trans and LGB persons from DASV, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital, Mar 2017
- An identities journey, Norwich Sunday Assembly, Mar 2017
- International Women’s Day – A different kind of woman, Swainsthorpe, Mar 2017
- Norwich Reclaim the Night 2017 Poetry & March for Safer Streets, Norwich, Mar 2017
- Exploring LGBT identities and intersection with religious beliefs (panel), UEA, Feb 2017
- Around the World in 80 Genders, LGBT HM UEA, Feb 2017
- Beyond LGBT Exploring Identities in the ‘IQAP+’ Tail, LGBT HM UEA, Feb 2017
- Women loving Women (panel), UEA, Feb 2017
- Beyond the Transgender Tipping Point – diversity and dissent within trans identities, UEA, Nov 2016
- Being Yourself and Challenging the Glass Ceilings of Gender – Baffled by, and my journey beyond, the Gender Binary, Queens College, Cambridge, Nov 2016
- Should Primary Age Kids be taught about Trans & Intersex?, Mustard TV, Nov 2016
- LGBT & Mental Health Stigma, Equal Lives, Norfolk, Oct 2016
- No to Hate Crime Vigil, Forum, Norwich, Oct 2016
- Suffolk Hate Crime Vigil, Bury St Edmunds Oct 2016
- Barriers to DASV Support Services for Trans People, Leeway DASV, Sep 16
- Norwich stands with Uganda Pride rally, Norwich, Aug 2016
- Solidarity with EU and International Migrants Speech, City Hall, Norwich, July 2016
- Norwich Stays Pro EU Speech, City Hall, Norwich, July 2016
- Orlando LGBT Club Massacre Vigil, City Hall, Norwich, June 2016
- Trans Needs (part of a diversity training day for counselors & youth workers), MAP, 16-Mar-16
- Around the World in 80 Genders, Sex/Gender outside of M/F & Western labels, SOAS, London, 2016
- Intersectionality and LGBTIQAP+, UEA Pride+Amnesty, 2016
- Being Different, Being Yourself (Anti-Bullying Week), EN College, 2015
- The Growth of Trans, Norwich Pride, 2015
- Sex, Gender & Mental Health with Dr Hadrian Ball (NSFT), NHS Suffolk, 2015
- Coming Out & Being Yourself At Work, Aviva LGBT Network, 2015
- Torture: Definition, Spread, Dehumanising, Stop, Amnesty UEA, 2015
- Non-Binary Gender in History & Making History Now, LGBT HM UEA, 2015
- Fifty Shades of GreySexuality, MOGAI & Tumblr, EN College, 2015
- Fifty Shades of GreySexuality, Gender & Sex, LGBT HM UEA, 2015
- Trans, Gender, Language & Mental health with Nick Conrad (Radio Norfolk), BBC Radio, 2014
- Sex, Gender & Mental Health with Dr Hadrian Ball (NSFT), NHS Norfolk, 2014
- Anti-Bullying & Trans Awareness Week talk, EN College, 2014
- LGB/TI separate or together? What has gender to do with sex/uality?, TG14 UEA, 2014
- LGBTI Human Rights Abuse in Russia & Uganda, Amnesty UEA, 2014
- Gender & Sex Variant History, UEA, 2014
- Russia: Boycott or engagement, NoToHate Vigil, 2013
- The Architecture of Gender, PK, 2013
- LGB & TIQ, Where do Sex & Gender Merge & Diverge?, Pride, 2013
- Depathologisation of Transgender, TG12 UEA, 2012
- A History of Trans & Gender Non Conformity to 1800, LGBT HM UEA, 2012
- Trans Myth & Real Life, UNISON, 2010
- Social Confidence, HC, 2009
Pro Bono, Costs and Fees
I deliver just over half of the talks I give for free, mostly getting travel expenses and a box of chocolates – for my waistline, I’d rather a book token! The other half are split almost equally between corporate level reimbursement, struggling public sector finances, and further education minimal fees.
For me it is never about the money, and on many topics I will always deliver the same professional content subject to my availability, energy and travel expenses. But like anyone I need to keep a roof over my head and balance the free with the fairly remunerated in order that those who can afford to pay help underwrite and maintain my freedom to provide more economical or expenses-only options for those without the same resources.
I believe in the Sacred Economics ideas of the gift economy and of paying both what you can afford and what you think I’m worth – when you can afford it! I once did some training at what I thought were fair commercial rates and was told afterwards that if I’d charged double they would have paid it. Needless to say they didn’t give me a tip after the fact and thus they got a bargain! I prefer to over-deliver rather than underwhelm.
Please contact me if you are interested in offering me a speaking engagement or training opportunity and we can discuss all the options.
“an exceptionally engaging and fascinating speaker. I could have sat and listened to you all evening well done more!” – Marcus Dickey Horley, Curator of Access at a leading London Art Gallery
“Katy Jon Went, as if Katy needs any introduction, shy retiring [not!], is a regular speaker discussing mental health and is fantastically honest and when I see her name popping up on my switchboard I always punch the air for joy because you know she’s going to say something outrageous, although there’s no delay or filter on the microphones today!” – Nick Conrad, BBC Radio Norfolk
“Very effective communicator”; “Enlightening – thank you for sharing such personal information”; “Excellent speaker.”; “Excellent, intelligent and enlightening presentation. Thank you for your honesty.”; “Excellent speaker, very clear, non-repetitive and good mix of lived experience with theory.”; “Very interesting and engaging”; “interesting, informative, and inspiring”; “Very informative, perfect introduction, and also moving in parts”; “So honest & open. Very informative.” ; “very articulate” – Various, training seminars feedback
“Katy engages incredibly well with young people… I would wholeheartedly recommend Katy to other educational institutions” – LO
“As the Student Welfare Coordinator in a sixth form college, I am always on the lookout for inspirational speakers to come in and speak to our students on a range of issues. We have been lucky enough to have Katy delivering two talks this academic year; one about life as a transgendered person as part of Anti-Bullying Week in November, and one entitled ‘Fifty Shades of Grey: An Alphabet Soup of Sexuality and Gender’ as part of our LGBT Month celebrations in February. Katy is immensely knowledgeable about her subject area and presents it in a very engaging and accessible way. While she is undoubtedly an intellectual heavyweight, there is no sense of superiority, and attendees at her talks genuinely feel that they could ask her anything without fear of offending her or being made to feel stupid. Katy engages incredibly well with young people, and her lively, slightly naughty approach means her audience warms to her immediately, making for an extremely enjoyable hour. I would wholeheartedly recommend Katy to other educational institutions; it is rare to find someone not only with so much knowledge, humour and openness who is prepared to deliver talks on potentially sensitive issues…” LO, Student Welfare Coordinator
“An astounding speaker.” – SM
“Katy is a whirlwind, and I’m just going around collecting the bits of washing machine left in the yard after the twister blows through.” – MB
“Honestly one of best people I’ve heard speak” – SH
“You from my perspective are one of a few people who can understand what it is to ‘take on the world’. I don’t know if that is how it is for you, but wow, you have from my perspective.” – CD
“A sane voice in a mad world” – JB
“You have so much to say about being human that people should listen to.” – OO
Public Speaking Coaching
I am available to coach on self-confidence, speech writing, delivery, adding humour, and other tips to aid your own public speaking opportunity.
“Katy’s help hugely improved my presentation both in content and delivery. Delightfully informative approach with lots of little tips that actually make all the difference. Following her coaching I did my first public speaking gig to an international audience of 2,500 people.” – Rob Whitworth Photography
Public Speaking or Training Enquiry
Please contact me if you are interested in booking a training session, school/college talk, educational lecture, public speaking opportunity, after dinner speech, or any private coaching or consultancy.