About Katy Jon Went & KatyJon.com
I am a writer, commentator, educator, speaker and activist on equality, diversity & intersectionality, news & politics, language & culture, history & science, religion & philosophy, LGBTIQ+, mental health, human rights, and many more things besides. I am passionate about learning, change and humanity’s potential. I am somewhere between a realist and optimist, whilst I warn about negative outcomes, I like to believe we will avoid them. I love reading about dystopias in order to imagine a better utopia, so long as it is varied and diverse one, and not a dull uniform one.
This is an attempt to create a purple “Katy world” portal, i.e., a way of drawing together the multiple passions and projects – personal or professional, and the political and public activism that I am involved in.
Many people feel a need to keep their professional and personal, public and private, separate. I’ve decided to throw caution to the wind in the name of transparency and authenticity, and the pointlessness of privacy options when Google can find anything these days except my car keys and glasses.
My Name, Gender, Pronouns, Identity
Well “my skeletons are firmly out of the closet!” I am transgender with a medical history of atypical physical gender development (probably MAIS/PAIS due to inadequate hormone receptors, some would label this intersex, which I am happy with) and you may find me on the Internet as my former name Jonathan Went (there are articles and papers online from the 1990s under my former name), under which I used to write and teach. I prefer simply Katy but can also be found under bylines as Katy-Jon, Katy Jon, KatyJon or just KJ.
As to pronouns, I prefer ‘she’, am fine with non-binary ‘they’, but am not keen on ‘he’, though I tolerate it to avoid explaining myself a dozen times a day, as my indefinable gender does send out mixed messages in our stereotyped world. My name, pronouns and gender, are less important to me than being respected as a human being of value, first and foremost, even though the courtesy of respecting self-identification is a part of that.
My sexuality is not really a relevant or appropriate question, though I’, not averse to answering the question. I have been or am each and every letter of LGBTIQAP, you can you use your imagination to work out how or discuss with me privately or face-to-face.
If you want to know more then read my potted Bio (sounds like something that should go in the greenhouse!).
Also check out my: Talks, Quotes, Writing, Film and Comedy pages, and introductory post on here about trying to bring everything together in one place. In addition, feel free to follow or send me a friend request on the various social media channels below.
Web Sites & Social Media Profiles
You can also find me at:
- BMSoftware (translation, office & graphics software, SEO, SMM, WordPress)
- Biblical Hebrew Made Easy (teach yourself an ancient language)
- Blogger – KJ’s Rants & Musings (blog posts on politics, economics, social commentary)
- Bubblews (sadly this site has closed taking 295 articles with it, but I will re-post the best over time)
- Demotix photography and photojournalism profile
- Facebook – Personal (friend requests welcomed)
- Facebook – Writing & Speaking
- Facebook – Biblical Hebrew
- Facebook – BMSoftware
- Facebook – GenderAgenda
- Facebook – Logophilia
- Facebook – Professional Pedants
- GenderAgenda (trans, gender, intersex awareness talks & training)
- Google+ (personal but public profile, circle adds welcome)
- LinkedIn (a somewhat hated platform that I rarely use as it is geared to employment over entrepreneurship)
- Professional Pedants (proofing, editing, correcting, writing)
- Quora (a Q&A site where I tend to answer questions on motivation, mental health & wellbeing)
- Pinterest – BMSoftware (SEO, SMM infographics, translation tips)
- Pinterest – Personal (1000s of images, sorted by OCD colour)
- Storify (fabulous site for collating web & social media trending topics – my first was on neuroscience and gender)
- Tumblr – KatyJon
- Twitter – Personal (instant immediate news & views gratification)
- Twitter – BMSoftware (tweets on translation, social media, SEO & tech advances like 3D printing)
- Twitter – GenderAgenda (beginning to diversify my personal a/c into a separate gender/trans/intersex/sexuality feed)
- Twitter – GAS Group (Gender & Sexuality studies & discussion)
- Vimeo (where the film “What Katy Did” can be found)
- WordPress – Transgendering (blog posts on gender/trans/intersex/sexuality)