About Katy Jon Went & KatyJon.com
I am a writer, commentator, educator, speaker and activist on equality, diversity & inclusion, intersectionality, news & politics, arts, language, literature, theatre & culture, history & science, religion & philosophy, LGBTIQ+, sex and gender, mental health, human rights, DASV, photography, and many more things besides.
I am passionate about learning, change and humanity’s potential. I am somewhere between a realist and optimist, whilst I warn about negative outcomes, I like to believe we will avoid them. I love reading about dystopias in order to imagine a better utopia, so long as it is a varied and diverse one, and not a dull uniform one.
Many people feel a need to keep their professional and personal, public and private, separate. I’ve decided to throw caution to the wind in the name of transparency and authenticity, and the pointlessness of privacy options when Google can find anything these days except my car keys and glasses.
As a result, I’m very visible around mental health, gender or sexuality, political views, but more than that I endeavour to listen to varied points of view. I read 3-5 newspapers and multiple online media daily, across the political spectrum to endure I’m not in some kind of echo chamber of only my preferred beliefs. I’m as interested in why and how something is said, as in what is said itself.
My Name, Gender, Pronouns, Identity
I am non-binary transgender with a medical history of atypical physical gender, height and puberty development (due to a hormone deficiency). You may find me on the Internet as my former name Jonathan Went (e.g. articles and papers online from the 1990s), under which I used to write and teach. I prefer simply Katy or Katy Jon when on the radio, but can also be found under bylines as Katy-Jon, Katy Jon Went, KatyJon or just KJ.
As to pronouns, I’m fine with ‘she’, but feel technically more aligned with non-binary ‘they’; I’m not keen on ‘he’, though I tolerate it to avoid explaining myself a dozen times a day, as my indefinable gender does send out mixed messages in our stereotyped binary world. My name, pronouns and gender, are less important to me than being respected as a human being of value, first and foremost, even though the courtesy of respecting self-identification is a part of that.
My sexuality is not really a relevant or appropriate question, though I’m not averse to answering the question. I somewhat tongue-in-cheek say that I have been or am each and every letter of LGBTIQAP, you can you use your imagination to work out how or when, or discuss with me privately.
If you want to know more then read my potted Bio (sounds like something that should go in the greenhouse!).
In addition, feel free to follow or send me a friend request on the various social media channels below.
Web Sites & Social Media Profiles
You can also find me at:
- Art Exhibitions UK – calendar & events site for artist & gallery shows driven by my love of art and need to organise all the PVs I go to, sometimes 2-3 in a night.
- Biblical Hebrew Made Easy (teach yourself an ancient language)
- Blogger – KJ’s Rants & Musings (blog posts on politics, economics, social commentary)
- BMSoftware (translation, office & graphics software, SEO, SMM, WordPress)
- Bubblews (sadly this site has closed taking 295 articles with it, but I will re-post the best over time)
- Demotix photography and photojournalism profile
- Facebook – Personal (friend requests welcomed)
- Facebook – Writing & Speaking
- Facebook – UK Art Exhibitions
- Facebook – Biblical Hebrew
- Facebook – BMSoftware
- Facebook – GenderAgenda
- Facebook – Logophilia
- Facebook – Professional Pedants
- Fifty Shades of Gender project consultant
- Food and Wine Reviews – Who doesn’t love to eat and drink, and in our case write about it!
- GenderAgenda (trans, gender, intersex awareness talks & training)
- Google+ (soon to be discontinued by Google)
- Human Library – involved as the UK coordinator
- Instagram – Food, Cats, Art, and Docs pics mainly!
- LinkedIn (a somewhat hated platform that I rarely use as it is geared to employment over entrepreneurship)
- Paint Out – majorly involved in this fabulous art & plein air painting project
- Pinterest – BMSoftware (SEO, SMM infographics, translation tips)
- Pinterest – Personal (1000s of images, sorted by OCD colour)
- Professional Pedants (proofing, editing, correcting, writing)
- Quora (a Q&A site where I tend to answer questions on motivation, mental health & wellbeing)
- Soundcloud – Audio recordings of talks and podcasts
- Storify (fabulous site for collating web & social media trending topics – my first was on neuroscience and gender)
- Tumblr – KatyJon
- Twitter – Personal (instant immediate news & views gratification)
- Twitter – Art Exhibition UK
- Twitter – BMSoftware (tweets on translation, social media, SEO & tech advances like 3D printing)
- Twitter – GenderAgenda (beginning to diversify my personal a/c into a separate gender/trans/intersex/sexuality feed)
- Twitter – GAS Group (Gender & Sexuality studies & discussion)
- Vimeo (where the film “What Katy Did” can be found)
- WordPress – Transgendering (blog posts on gender/trans/intersex/sexuality)